Wednesday, June 17, 2009

FRG 2 : Jimmy Page

James Patrick Page (born in 1944, same age with my father :D) is one of the most influential rock guitarists. Known as the guitarist of "Led Zeppelin", but he started his career as a session musician, jamming on stage at "The Marquee Club" in London with people like Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton.

When Clapton decided to quit the band "Yardbirds", Page (as a bassist first) and Beck joined. Then when Beck gone, Page climbed to the lead guitarist position (in Little Games album). In 1968, only Page and John Paul Jones (remember, right? :)) was remaining from the old band. Then Page recruited Robert Plant for the vocals and John "Bonzo" Bonham for the drums and the group renamed itself as "The New Yardbirds" then again to "Led Zeppelin".

"Ultimately, I wanted Zeppelin to be a marriage of blues, hard rock and acoustic music topped with heavy choruses - a combination that had never been done before."

When Bonzo died in 1980, Led Zeppelin was over. Page and Plant worked together as "Page&Plant" from that day forward. I personally want them to regroup at least for a day and I can see my favourite band alive..

P.S. This post seems to be a Led Zeppelin post more than a Jimmy Page post. Sorry about that :D The reason is my fanatism of Zeppelin, I think...

No comments: